About Me

My photo
I'm an almost, nearly qualified Librarian, currently a distance learner at Aberystwyth (and have been for some time!)

Sunday 10 June 2012

Thing 4 - Current Awareness (or slightly behind in my case!)

Digression and Procrastination


Only a couple of weeks behind schedule with Thing 4 which isn't so bad considering it's half term and work is the last thing on my mind (who am I kidding, I've spent most of the week thinking about what I have to do when I go back in tomorrow!)

Digression and procrastination are two of my worst habits (although I'm sure my office companion Lovely Libraries will tell you I have far worse!) and current awareness is a wonderful way of doing both. When I started my job several years ago I had to actively go looking in journals and websites to find out what was going on in the library world. Now I can just sit back with tea and cake in hand, feet on the desk and wait for it  all to come to me!

Twitter

I'm a huge fan of Twitter and have been on it for about a year now and whilst I rarely Tweet, I do like to lurk on the edges and keep up to date with what is going on in the library world. As I mentioned in a  previous post, I use Facebook in an entirely personal capacity and Twitter is the tool I use for current awareness and professional news. I follow very few celebs and tend to follow fellow librarians, LIS students, information professionals, professional bodies or organisations. Anyone who Tweets far too much incidental stuff gets unfollowed. I think people forget that you can be discerning on Twitter. It's no good complaining that it's all about what people had for lunch. If you're finding too many sandwich details on Twitter then you're following the 'wrong sort'.

The main benefits for me are that I now find out information far quicker than mailing lists I'm on. They're also replacing some of my RSS feeds, as I'm picking up Tweets about CPD23 blog posts, before I've checked my Google Reader account.

The downside of using Twitter in work  is that our Techie guys view it with an element of mistrust and see it as yet another social media site that could cause our entire network to implode on itself if open access is given. So it's great between the hours of 12 and 2.00 pm and if you're reading this and I follow you, please bear this in mind! Only Tweet the important stuff at lunchtime and please don't tell me what was in your sandwich!

I do find I have to be very disciplined as I have a tendency to explore all the new things that pop up on Twitter. Which is all well and good, but not when you've also got a million and one day to day job stuff to do. Whilst it is great to update myself with all the new tools and info coming out, I've also got to do the 'bread and butter' stuff of my job.
It doesn't help that Lovely Libraries role includes project work and e-learning, so she has carte blanche to look at all these things and gets ever so excited and passes them on to me! An example from last week was when I was all ready to start putting through book orders and we ended up creating a Wunderlist for a Social Media project we're working on. Granted, it has already helped us enormously in organising our project, but it hasn't got my book orders through; hence the worrying about what I have to do next week! Since starting CPD23 I'm determined to start using Twitter more proactively and start Tweeting. I'm going to Tweet about this post when it's finally finished.


RSS Feeds


I'm already well acquainted with RSS feeds and use Google reader to aggregate them. I've signed up to news feeds, subject realated areas that interest me, and topics relating to course modules that I'm currently studying. Again though I find myself frustrated in work as so many blogs are blocked by network filters. I'm not sure who decides what should be blocked and I'm not sure we have any policies in place, but 'they' deem it inappropriate that I should be accessing material of this type. It's very short sighted and ill-thought out as the type of blog I'm trying to follow are useful tools in the world of information studies, (library gurus such as Phil Bradley and Ned Potter). To enable us to start CPD23 we had to contact our support guys to relax the filters and allow us to download the CPD23 blog.

(There's a recurring theme here with network filters, censorship issues and possibly a dissertation topic about how this impacts on student research).

I've now added my work colleagues to my feed and several other CPD23 participants that I've enjoyed reading. This also keeps me motivated as I see others progressing through the course and I don't want to get left behind!


Storify


Storify is one of the social media tools I've heard about but not come across or investigated. I signed in via my Facebook account and had a play with it. As usual when you have nothing in mind to create, I had a complete mental blank about what to search for. Inspiration struck and I searched for CPD23! It was very easy to create a story by dragging items onto the storyboard. I didn't bother publishing my little creation and I haven't yet worked out why I would need to use Storify in a work capacity but I'll store it away for a time when inspiration strikes and it's what I'm looking for.


Apology


Despite my initial reservations about blogging I now find that I'm enjoying it enormously. It's quite liberating to be able to write freely and not be constrained by the rigidness of academic writing (and let's not forget that I'm now entering my fifth year as a DIS student!) So I'm apologising to you as my blog posts seem to be getting longer and longer. It's probably not helped by the fact that this is a gin fuelled Sunday evening blog post and ther's nothing on the telly apart from football.

No comments:

Post a Comment